Jon Galt on Wed, 1 May 2002 05:20:13 +0200

[PLUG] samba

Hello everyone,
  I normally use scp and ftp (only behind my firewall!) to transfer files
between my Windoze and Linux machines.  But now I'm trying to get Samba
working, and I've hit a snag.
  The current status is that my Win98 boxes can see the Linux box (in
Network Neighborhood), but I continue to get prompted for a password
whenever I try to access the machine.  I tried following some instructions
on a web page I found (http://kimihia.org.nz/how/samba/), but I can't seem
to get it to work.
  One point is that my username on the win98 boxes is "jon galt", with the
space.  I created such an account on the Linux box, and set the smb
password, and it didn't work.  Then I took the space out (made it
"jongalt") on both the Win98 box and on the Linux box, but I get the same
results.
  Can anybody help me get this working?  By the way, I do have the ability
to mount a remote Win98 drive on my Linux box (in case that's relevant).

Thanks,
Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com