Greg Lopp on Fri, 3 May 2002 10:08:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] rc.local ? Config Problem

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 06:36:21AM -0700, JP Toto wrote:
> Hi all... here's the issue:
>
> I have a mandrake 8.1 server. I have added apache
> tomcat and the java sdk so that I can start playing
> with jsp pages. My goal is to have the tomcat server
> start automagically on boot.
>
> Now, I used webmin to add the tomcat service to the rc
> files which generated nice little startup/shutdown
> scripts that appear to be working normally.
>
> The problem is the environment variables. JAVA_HOME
> and CATALINA_HOME need to be set in order for tomcat
> to startup correctly on boot. I tried putting:
>
> export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/sdk
> export CATALINA_HOME=/path/to/tomcat
>
> in my rc.local file but it never gets set during boot
> and tomcat doesn't start correctly. Is my syntax
> incorrect? This syntax works fine when I manually
> export these variables. I don't think this is a huge
> problem but Im definitely missing something so any
> help/suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

1) I thought that rc.local was called after all the other rc
   scripts and therefore that export would be too late to help
   start tomcat.

2) I've had a little recent experience trying to get tomcat4 to
   behave on a RH7.2 (?) machine.  We couldn't get the startup
   script to do the job - never quite figured out why - had more
   important things to do. So, onto questions :

Which distribution and tomcat version? Whose sdk?
Can root get it to start via "tomcat4 start"?
Do you get anything in $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out ?
Keep in mind that it can take some time for tomcat to get going.
It is often over a minute before it will send responces on my
system (450Mhz, Debian testing, tomcat4, blackdown JDK or Sun's
1.3.1 or 1.4)

greg