JP Toto on Fri, 3 May 2002 10:13:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] rc.local ? Config Problem

> 1) I thought that rc.local was called after all the
> other rc
>    scripts and therefore that export would be too
> late to help
>    start tomcat.

This is a good point. I might have to add the export
to the startup rc script itself.

> 2) I've had a little recent experience trying to get
> tomcat4 to
>    behave on a RH7.2 (?) machine.  We couldn't get
> the startup
>    script to do the job - never quite figured out
> why - had more
>    important things to do. So, onto questions :
>
> Which distribution and tomcat version? Whose sdk?
> Can root get it to start via "tomcat4 start"?
> Do you get anything in
> $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out ?
> Keep in mind that it can take some time for tomcat
> to get going.
> It is often over a minute before it will send
> responces on my
> system (450Mhz, Debian testing, tomcat4, blackdown
> JDK or Sun's
> 1.3.1 or 1.4)

Tomcat 4.0.3, Java 1.4 sdk (sun)
Actually, on 3 different distros I haven't had a lick
of trouble getting Tomcat to startup and work
manually. This of course after setting the envrions
manually. The one thing I can recommend is that you
use the SDK instead of the JRE runtime. The JRE didn't
work for me. Stick with the SDK.

- JP

> greg

=====