Greg Lopp on Fri, 3 May 2002 11:08:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] rc.local ? Config Problem

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:12:27AM -0700, JP Toto wrote:
> Tomcat 4.0.3, Java 1.4 sdk (sun)
> Actually, on 3 different distros I haven't had a lick
> of trouble getting Tomcat to startup and work
> manually. This of course after setting the envrions
> manually. The one thing I can recommend is that you
> use the SDK instead of the JRE runtime. The JRE didn't
> work for me. Stick with the SDK.

I was just looking on the RH7.2 machine and noticed that the rc
script invokes /etc/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf to set JAVA_HOME,
CATALINA_HOME, JASPER_HOME amoung other things.  If your package
has that file, it's probably the "appropriate" place to set the
values you want. One of those other things is TOMCAT_USER.  If
you don't give it a value in tomcat4.conf, the rc script uses
"tomcat4".  When starting it manually, it launches as root.  I
tried su'ing to tomcat4, tried "dtomcat4 start" and catalina.out
reported a permissions error.  With that fixed, the rc script
works great.

One other thing.  tomcat shuts down slowly too.  If there are
still old processes around when you try to start it again, it'll
get stuck.