gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 3 May 2002 17:29:33 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting thread on SEUL-EDU mailing list...

[This has been pretty much beat into the ground by now, I'm sure,
but forgive me for just catching up now.]

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:41:10AM -0400, Jon Galt wrote:
> Give me a break.  Stick to computers, Gabriel.

I'll refrain from a reply to that.

> When the USA was on the gold standard, it was not possible for the price
> of gold to fluctuate in terms of dollars, because the definition of the
> dollar was in terms of gold.  Ever hear of a 20 dollar gold coin?

Of course not. They were tied to each other. Ever hear of a $20
apple, though? (I'm not talking about a computer.)

The point is not what the value of the dollar is relative to gold,
but what the value of each is relative to the real world.

> Before they began eliminating the gold standard, one could walk
> into virtually any bank and exchange between gold and paper
> dollars at a fixed rate.  I believe it was 20 USD per ounce.

So what? Both of those are imaginary quantities. The issue is how
many apples I could buy for those $20 US. And that changed. A lot.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net