George Langford, Sc.D. on Fri, 3 May 2002 22:20:15 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - chose to install [hard drive(s)]

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Here I was, resigned to learning how to mount a mess of botched
partitions from W9[5 & 8] boxes in my Linux PC, and Kevin pipes
up with, "... just mount one partition at a time ..."

Yup; it works.

Here's what I did.  First, I yanked the drives, one at a time,
and starting with the one of least importance, made sure (heh,
heh) that they were jumpered as slaves, and plugged 'em in to
the Linux PC, using the CDWriter's IDE cable & power supply
connector.  I then booted up (from the boot floppy - not yet
sure if this matters) and stopped at the BIOS settings to check
that the device was detected (every time, almost), saved those
new BIOS settings, and then read off the partition table with
Hardware  Browser.  Then I used Konsole to mount the partitions
(one at a time, per Kevin's advice) with the simple command:

		mount /dev/hdbX /mnt

where X is the number of the partition I wanted.  I also used
Konsole to create a destination directory.  Then I used two
copies of Kommander to perform the select, copy & paste functions.

About two hours, 5GB and 30,000 files later, I am out of files
to copy and the Linux PC had only choked once, when the cursor
vanished for no apparent reason after I closed all the open
menus.

Naturally, I followed Kevin's advice to unmount each partition
before proceeding to the next one without fail, so I did not
find out what happens when one leaves a partition mounted before
changing to another hard drive.  Whew.  I did find out that
Konsole does not like to unmount a partition while Kommander
has it in use.  That was easily corrected by closing the
unneeded copies of Kommander.

The only real hitch was that I could not do anything with a
couple of file systems called "Extended" by Hardware Browser.
The automatic detection of file_system works great for FAT,
but not for Extended, it seems.  At least for me, the neophyte.

Every file that I checked seems to open OK, such as the many
JPG's, HTML, and even DOC's. So they haven't been scrambled
or wrongly converted.  Wow; that's impressive.

The one drive that wasn't automatically detected was the pesky
CDWriter, which came up as "NONE" on the BIOS screen until I
forced it to AUTO.  Then, Linux found it just fine and Hardware
Browser was happy.  fstab was happy, and cdrom appeared in the
mount list along with floppy.

Thanks to Kevin for this particular advice and to all the rest
of you who read my pleading postings.

My next step is to try to burn a verrrry big set of report data
onto a CD-R disk for a client.

Best regards,
George
amenex@amenex.com