Bill Jonas on Sat, 4 May 2002 16:40:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - chose to install [hard drive(s)]

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:20:33PM -0400, George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:
> The only real hitch was that I could not do anything with a
> couple of file systems called "Extended" by Hardware Browser.
> The automatic detection of file_system works great for FAT,
> but not for Extended, it seems.  At least for me, the neophyte.

If you look at your partitions with fdisk (eg, "fdisk -l /dev/hdb"),
you'll notice that those extended partitions share their entire disk
space with partitions numbered 5 and higher.

On a hard disk in a PC, the partition table is 64 bytes long.  Each
partition requires 16 bytes of space on the disk.  64 / 16 = 4.  The
"64" and the "16" can't be changed, for backward-compatibility reasons.
So, the method that was developed to allow more than 4 partitions was to
take one of the partition table entries, allocate a portion of the disk
to it, and allow that part of the disk to be sub-partitioned.  The big
"container" partition is called an "extended partition".  This is what
you were seeing.  It can't be mounted, and it's treated specially.

See also:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/partition-3.html#LOGICAL
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/partition-5.html#MIXED
http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwtab.htm

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin