George Langford, Sc.D. on Tue, 7 May 2002 15:20:38 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - this Netscape bookmarks file thing is gettin ...

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

OK - I found a bookmark.htm file from my W98 system (sucessfully
transferred into the Linux PC by cutting and pasting the physical
hard drive into the Linux PC as previously described) and copied
it into /home/user0/.netscape/bookmark.htm after renaming the
previous one oldbookmarks.htm in the same directory.  Note that
the old one had an "s" in the name, whereas my imported one does
not.

No matter what I call any of these "user grade" bookmarks files,
when I go to the existing "bookmarks" menu item in Netscape
Navigator to select "Edit Bookmarks," the informational
(read, "Netscape promotional") bookmarks file opens.  Nothing
that I attempt to add to that file gets saved; and none of the
other bookmark(s) files will open when I select "Open Bookmarks
File" in the menu that goes with the opened-up informational
bookmarks file.  The "Properties" of that file show no location
information (coded into the binary, according to LeRoy Cressy)
and so I have no clue even as to what the name is under which
Netscape is attempting to save the bookmarks information.
The only way I can open any of my own [previous] bookmarks
files is to use Navigator's normal "open page" menu item, and
then they open up just fine, but have none of the handy editing
features of the standard bookmarks menu item.

George Langford, Clueless in SE PA
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/
http://www.georgesbasement.com/