Greg Lopp on Tue, 7 May 2002 16:11:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - this Netscape bookmarks file thing is gettin ...

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:36:55PM -0400, George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:
> Hello fellow PLUGgers !
>
> OK - I found a bookmark.htm file from my W98 system (sucessfully
> transferred into the Linux PC by cutting and pasting the physical
> hard drive into the Linux PC as previously described) and copied
> it into /home/user0/.netscape/bookmark.htm after renaming the
> previous one oldbookmarks.htm in the same directory.  Note that
> the old one had an "s" in the name, whereas my imported one does
> not.
But the differences shouldn't stop there.  The W98 file conforms
to the restrictions of 8.3 filenames : bookmark.htm  Everywhere
else, it is bookmarks.html

Leave windows, get an 's', get an 'l'

> No matter what I call any of these "user grade" bookmarks files,
> when I go to the existing "bookmarks" menu item in Netscape
> Navigator to select "Edit Bookmarks," the informational
> (read, "Netscape promotional") bookmarks file opens.  Nothing
> that I attempt to add to that file gets saved;
Confirm that for me : You delete all the promotional bookmarks,
quit netscape, start netscape and its those same promo bookmarks again?

very curious