George Langford, Sc.D. on Tue, 7 May 2002 21:30:15 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - Linux can't find the CDROM except from boot floppy

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Here's a followup on my problems getting the Linux box
to recognize the CD-burner.

If I reboot from the hard drive, Linux fails to detect
the CD-burner.  If I reboot from the boot floppy, it
gets found and automatically gets ready to be mounted,
waiting of course for me to shove a disk into its shy
mouth.  Am I gonna have to remember forever to boot the
system from the floppy ?  After bootup, all evidence of
the alternate boot method disappears, except for the
difference in behavior between the floppy version
vs. the hard-drive version. All other menu items are
the same, and there is no loss in functionality that
I have found so far.

I did manage to burn one CD-R disk, but the burner
software (XCDRoast) hung up during the fixation phase,
hanging the computer until all it could do is blink its
Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LED's at me.  I broke the
deadlock by pushing the eject button on the CD-burner's
case front.  Than, only one of two major directories
got burned onto the disk.  Those two directories had
similar names, AA1216 and AA1216updated.  That's the
only clue I can offer as to why this burn got
truncated ...

George Langford, even more puzzled in PA
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/
http://www.georgesbasement.com/