Bill Jonas on Wed, 8 May 2002 20:00:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] GnuPG 1.0.7

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:17:16AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> And it works! Woo hoo! Darxus's messages, which used to take as long
> as 10 seconds for me to verify, now pop right up!

Wow!  I viewed one of Walt's mails before installing the new version,
and it probably took about 20 seconds or so to verify the signature
(with 1.0.6).  After building 1.0.7 and installing it, and doing the
--rebuild-keydb-caches, it just a couple seconds.  I'm very happy!

1.0.7 is not yet packaged for Debian, not even for unstable.  So I did a
bit of poking around and built it myself.  I changed as few things as
possible to get it to compile (For some reason, the "test -f g10/g10.c
-a -f debian/rules" in the debian/rules file is causing the line "Start
..." followed bj the line "waiting for connection ...", followed by what
appears to be an infinite hang.  Oh well.  It should be "dh_testdir"
anyway, but I didn't build it like that.) and to bump the version
number.  I've uploaded my work to
<http://www.billjonas.com/debian/gnupg> if any other Debian users would
like to take advantage of the packages I've made.  i386 and sparc
binaries are available, as is upstream source (gnupg-1.0.7.tar.gz),
Debian package source (gnupg_1.0.7-0.1.tar.gz -- for some reason,
dpkg-buildpackage thought it was a Debian native package, so it made
that instead of a .diff.gz and a .orig.tar.gz.  This won't be going into
the Debian archive, though, so I'm not that concerned.), and the Debian
source control (gnupg_1.0.7-0.1.dsc) file with my signature.

Note that I've numbered the package version such that when the official
Debian maintainer releases his package, it will replace mine.  (The -0.1
Debian version number, which is the standard practice for an NMU of a
new upstream version.)

But all I can say of the new version is, "Wow."  It's *much* faster.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin