Michael Leone on Sat, 11 May 2002 01:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Revolution OS

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 19:12, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 05/10, Michael Leone wrote:
> > How can a Chinatown VCD be legal (presuming a copyrighted work)? Even
> > when it is legal to produce them (I've seen a  Korean VCD version of Toy
> > Story), is it legal to sell them in this country? I would have thought
> > that the studios would have made that a condition of sale (kinda like an
> > OEM copy is not supposed to be sold retail) that it only be sold in
> > Asia.
>
> It's a valid commercial media format supported by most current american DVD
> players.  I haven't heard of any restrictions on it.  That would be dumb.

Maybe not in the studio's eyes. I doubt the sales of the Asian version
would be all that substantial in a non-Asian market, and so they might
want to limit it to sales in a certain area, to minimize returns, etc.

Just because you might think it's dumb doesn't mean they think it's
dumb. They don't think it's dumb to CSS-encrypt a DVD, for example.

> I'm sure it's much easier to copy the VHS version.

That would be illegal, too.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Conform or be cast out.