Greg Lopp on Sat, 11 May 2002 22:30:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: bad bios battery?

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 02:30:57AM -0400, John lavin wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 10:29:19AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > Should be something you can set in the BIOS (now that you can use
> > your keyboard in it ;^>).
> Ugh.  Still can't believe I did that.  Tried forcing an IRQ 9 to the
> slot I was putting the second card in. This is not used from what I can
> tell from /proc/pci.  No difference.  I then forced the other net card
> to irq 7.  Nope.
>
> I don't think its a card problem since I swapped out cards and I was
> still fine as long as only one is in.  Regardless - I can live without
> the second card for now, until I get my dsl connection.

So here's the obvious question : is the problem that you have two
pci devices or that you have two devices with the same
vendor/device codes?

I don't remember the exact mechanics to how pci devices register
themselves with a pci-master, but multiple devices with the same
vendor/device code are usually not a problem.  That is, usually.

How much trouble would it be to try a different nic?

greg