Darxus on Sun, 12 May 2002 11:00:19 +0200

[PLUG] plug keyring graphed in *3D* !!!

http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/springgraph/3d.html

:P

It worked.

"wow, that's very, very pretty :)" - mct
"holy [censored] that 3d graph rocks" - Time

Yeah, so... I'm pretty happy about this.

I finally got around to writing springgraph, to use instead of neato to
graph the plug keyring, with math that I feel is more appropriate to this
dataset (which I mentioned here several days ago).

Then, even better, as I had hoped, I was able to extrapolate the concept
into 3D, and output a povray 3D scene file.  And it all works.

You'll find 16 1024x768 renderings of the plug keyring on the above url.
Downloading will be slow, because it's not on the plug site, because I'm
already over (the 5mb) quota there.  I tried (and succeed in) building an
mpeg out of these (using imagemagick), but the quality was horrible.
You're much better off downloading the stills and doing a slideshow.
The generated .pov file includes a "clock" variable for use with pov's
animation functions, which is how I generated these 16 images.

I am very interested in all kinds of feedback on this stuff.

I have not attempted anything resembling the arrowheads that have been in
the 2d plug keyring graphs.  There is some possibility of doing conical
arrowheads, but... well, I don't feel like it yet.  I would prefer to do
something easier, like changing the width of the cylinder on each end to
show which one a signature has been made on (which would make it a conic
section, I guess).

I would like to make the labels easier to read.  I don't know how texturing
them directly onto the spheres would go.  Another option is to try to angle
the labels directly toward the camera... which would be.. more fun with
math I'd long forgotten.

I would like to do something that would allow flying through this
3D model.  VRML immediately comes to mind, but I am having difficulty
finding a VRML viewer that runs under linux that can render a simple
sample scene.  I'd prefer not to write a full rendering thing in SDL.
Suggestions on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks to Gabriel for being the only one to show any interested in me
working on the .pov / 3D output.  I am definitely happy with the results.

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress
depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
http://www.ChaosReigns.com