Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 12 May 2002 11:40:16 +0200

[PLUG] printing postscript

I'm trying to get my hp deskjet to print properly. Experimenting with
printtool got me text, but not postscript. Some searching on the web
recommends the hpijs driver, which I apt-got, but still no
ps. Fiddling with printcap and much reading of the printing howto
hasn't changed things much.

I can say "lpr /etc/lprng/printcap" and get beautiful text, but
printing from mozilla, for example, produces stair-stepped postscript
text:

  %!
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
		  %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792

I've attached my (short) printcap file, in case someone sees something
in it that might be of help. Both lp and lp-back show the same
behavior. It's odd. Google leads me to believe I'm the only person in
the world to have this problem. Well, I'm lame on one of two grounds,
then.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

(BTW, the music printer is my attempt at a simple juke box. The print
spooler, with a proper filter script, works quite nicely as a juke
box, albeit with a bit too much copying around of files. But it only
took a few minutes to "write.")

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>
# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.

# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:
lp:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/usr/lib/ifhp/ifhp:\
	:PAPERSIZE=a4:\
	:GSDEVICE=hpijs:\
	:RESOLUTION=600x600:\
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 3 1
lp-back:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\