Kevin Brosius on Fri, 17 May 2002 14:50:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wireless/ricochet

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:46:17PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > My reading suggested only the WAP model had the 2.4G support (top
> > antenna, on the 3 antenna model.)  Also, note that the 2.4G band is
> > licensed spectrum, so using it puts you at the risk of dealing with the
> > FCC.
>
> It is?
>
> Then how come 802.11B lives there?
>
> And spread spectrum cordless phones?

Argh, should have know gr would call me on that...

But seriously, is that your only argument?  Where's your data?  I should
have said:  Also, note that the (portion of the) 2.4G band (used by
ricochet) is licensed spectrum.

Better?

I don't have the ricochet frequencies readily available, but I can dig
them up at home.  However, it appears that the unlicensed portion of the
2.4G band is only ~85MHz.  In that band, certain types of transmission
(DSSS and 'DSSS-like' techniques) are allowed at specified power
levels.  That portion is used by unlicensed phones and networking gear.

The Metricom 2.4G band license was supposed to be auctioned along with
everything else when ricochet went under.  I don't recall if Aerie
acquired it or not.

--
Kevin Brosius