gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 17 May 2002 16:20:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wireless/ricochet

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:44:13PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Argh, should have know gr would call me on that...

Well, I mostly just thought "anything associated with 2.4 GHz is a
free for all", but I haven't paid much attention to the details of
FCC licensing ever, really. (So it was a legitimate question, not
intended to be calling you out. :^>)

> But seriously, is that your only argument?  Where's your data?  I should
> have said:  Also, note that the (portion of the) 2.4G band (used by
> ricochet) is licensed spectrum.
>
> Better?

Much. I still say I didn't know that portions of that band were
specifically licensed, but all that means is that I didn't know
it.

> I don't have the ricochet frequencies readily available, but I can dig
> them up at home.  However, it appears that the unlicensed portion of the
> 2.4G band is only ~85MHz.  In that band, certain types of transmission
> (DSSS and 'DSSS-like' techniques) are allowed at specified power
> levels.  That portion is used by unlicensed phones and networking gear.

Got it.

> The Metricom 2.4G band license was supposed to be auctioned along with
> everything else when ricochet went under.  I don't recall if Aerie
> acquired it or not.

I think there was something in one or several online news sources
fairly recently about that auction, but I've got no memory of what
it said. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net