christophe barbé on Fri, 17 May 2002 16:58:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian mpeg video player

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 03:15:49PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Anyone know the best: debian mpeg video player?

Mplayer and Xine are the best and when one fails the other succeed.

Xine is already packaged and Mplayer (already unofficially packaged) is
being working on by the official packager. Most of the problems
preventing Mplayer to be packaged are solved (compile-time hardware
detection code -> runtime detection), but a few remains.
Until all problems are solved, you can create you own package by running
'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' on the source base directory.

> Maybe this could be a
> package for PADS to work on.

This kind of package is not easy to package. It is certainly better to
try smaller apps first.

> Anyone have any small ftp space we could use? I really think it would be
> cool to have a plug/pads debian mirror. We'd have lots of warnings,
> though, "these packages will probably break things, and not help at all".

Theses warnings are for the mirror or your PADS packages ?

<flame>
I would like to said that debian is certainly the most stable GNU/Linux
distribution and the most current (if you use woody or sid).
</flame>

Christophe