Jeff Weisberg on Mon, 20 May 2002 14:19:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] BSD Preferences?

| Hi all. With the recent release of OpenBSD 3.1, and
| the impending release of FreeBSD 4.6, what BSD

and the impending release of NetBSD 1.5.3

| preferences do you have? I went to Gabe's presentation
| on NetBSD (excellent by the way) and I know he's a big
| fan because it annoys him the least. I've had some
| experience with FreeBSD 4.5 but that's about it. If I
| wanted to start learning BSD and putting it to

currently I run NetBSD on most of my boxes, and have been a
NetBSD user since roughly "the beginning".

why NetBSD?
	a) multi-platform. Way-back-when I had a collection
	   of assorted sun3 and x86 hardware, (now assorted
	   sparc and x86 hardware). running the same OS on
	   everything is, well, convenient.

	b) at the time I had a friend running NetBSD
	   who swayed me in the right direction.

	c) inertia has kept me running NetBSD. All of its
	   peculiarities are burned into my head, and I don't
	   handle change well...

| practicle use as a file, web, email server - is one
| BSD easier/better than the other? Just curious to hear
| what you guys thought.

I dunno about easier or better, it's mostly personal preference.

I've always seen OpenBSD as "Theo's version of NetBSD", and that
the most significant difference is just "Theo".

if you're looking to run on a vax or amiga (etc) then FreeBSD is right out

if you've got a multi-processor box, you won't be happy with NetBSD

otherwise, the most important question might be:
"what do more of my friends use?"

is all

	--jeff