Adam Turoff on Mon, 20 May 2002 14:59:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] BSD Preferences?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:18:14PM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> if you've got a multi-processor box, you won't be happy with NetBSD

Yep.  AFAICT, the only way to get a BSD running on a cheap 2-processor
celeron box is to run FreeBSD.  OpenBSD *might* be SMP at the moment,
but I kinda doubt it.  FreeBSD has worked on dual-CPU mobos for a
couple of years now (since 3.x, IIRC).  It's functional but I'm not
enough of a hardware geek to know what they're doing right/wrong;
FreeBSD 5.0 is supposed to have some killer improvements with SMP.

Also, SMP on *BSD sorta tops out at 2 or possibly 4 CPUs; for real
SMP hardware with an open OS, you're best off with a recent Linux
distro.  (Or a proprietary OS.)

Z.