Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 21 May 2002 00:01:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: CDWriter hangs the computer during fixation

> mkisofs -r -T -o cd.iso /home/user0/PowerPCMaster/ReportDataToCDrom
> cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -data cd.iso

We had a huge debate on this. I used to use -J instead of -T to preserve
long filenames. Someone talked me out of it. I think you can use both:

mkisofs -r -J -T -o cd.iso /home/user0/PowerPCMaster/ReportDataToCDrom

My apologies.

I think gnome is confused b/c fstab is messed up.

I would try:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

If this works, do a:

ls -al /dev/cdrom

I have:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec 13 13:27 /dev/cdrom ->
/dev/sr0

On my my output. YMMV.

> The MS Word97 files on the Linux PC's hard drive can be opened
> (more-or-less) with Star Office, and the JPG files open OK as
> well.  I'm not sure about whether the many hyperlinks work yet.

Yea, they might break if filenames change.

I didn't know if there were other questions I missed (and cut) or you were
giving more backround info, so please post if I've missed something.

Usually long filenames are gotten w/ the -J option in cdrecord which is
joliet format for windows. The linux kernel can read joliet cdroms, too. I
think that rh throws that into the mix when they make stock kernel so a
properly burned cd should give long filenames in linux.

----cut----

[I started to ramble so this probably has little to do w/ the questions at
hand. You have been warned. :) ]

I usually roll my own kernel, and I always check the MS joliet format
under the iso9660 b/c I want to be able to read all filesystems. :)
I think that at one time the kernel level mac filesystem support (hfs), is
broken, at least in 2.4.16 kernel which makes it tough to boot from cd in
basillisk (mac emulation). I'll see if it works in 2.4.18.

I have high hopes for kernel 2.4.19 b/c they have that new kid working on
it, and he seems to be highly conservative on what he allows in, so it
looks like he's going to be a big bug fixer only, instead of doing wacky
(and dangerous) innovation on the 2.4 series, so I'm hoping that there are
many more versions for use w/ servers.

I'd really like to test out 2.5 on a beater machine.

Fred