Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 21 May 2002 00:14:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

>    After several unsuccesful attempts to install Linux
> on my current system, I have decided I want to buy a
> pre-configured system.

Very cool.

I tried really hard to get linux installed on an old mac. I finally gave
up after I realized that it would never work as there was no fpu. :)
Still, this is a good attitude.

>    I believe that one of my problems is that I have
> been geting poorly configured hardware from local
> vendors. This is my second put-together system that has
> had major hardware problems.

This might be a factor. Putting money you would usually spend on sw into
hw seems to be worth it for linux. However, have you ever thought about
bringing you problem child to an install fest? I'm not trying to
discourage you for buying new hardware, just a thought.

>    My prefernce would be to get a machine directly from a
> major manufacturer (i.e. Dell / IBM / Compaq) vendor -
> but it seems that no major manufacturer sells pre-installed linux.

Dell does. This company takes the cake for
service. I think it's worth the higher price. I messed something up on
Dell hardware (it was under warranty, but I did a Bad Thing), they still
shipped a replacement.

>   #2 - What flavor of Linux should I get -
>    Debian seems attractive as it seems to aim for
> a common standard.
>     RH seems pretty poular and full of fun features.

I highly recommend debian. If you are a newbie, you might want progeny:

www.progeny.com

or libranet

b/c they put a pretty face on debian's installer. W/ your attitude, I can
soon see you installing debian net-install one day. :) Debian is much
easier to install after you have played w/ a preconfigured system for a
few years.

Unfortunately, Dell has only rh. (For the rh fans out there, rh is a fine
distro, I am just relious. :) ) Also, I'd like a choice, but I can see how
that can be too hard for tech support. I called a vendor the other day and
they admitted to me on the phone that they couldn't get linux installed. I
thought, hmmm, I wonder how they will help me w/ my linux problem. But
they were nice, and they actually did help.

I have heard that most people who get a preinstalled linux reinstall
anyway. I would if I ever bought new hw. I usually get stuff from the
trash w/ no OS. :)

Fred