Art on Tue, 21 May 2002 22:13:33 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

Fred -

   I should have been clearer - I had a real HACK install RH 7.2
on my system - he said it was a "wonderful system" -

   This was a two drive system - drive #2 has since failed

    I have been able to install RH 7.2 after replacing the
hard drive - but there were so many bugs - system would
freeze constantly - BUT as  I have similar Windows problems on the
same system - I have to blame a shady vendor (Almost every
piece of hardware failed on this system - I suspect the mother board
is also bad)

> >    My prefernce would be to get a machine directly from a
> > major manufacturer (i.e. Dell / IBM / Compaq) vendor -
> > but it seems that no major manufacturer sells pre-installed linux.
>
> Dell does. This company takes the cake for
> service. I think it's worth the higher price. I messed something up on
> Dell hardware (it was under warranty, but I did a Bad Thing), they still
> shipped a replacement.

     I have perused the DELL site - can't find LINUX preinstalled -

I would buy a DELL with Linuc preinstalled in a second.

    I have had very good luck with DELL - this is my third DELL
laptop - (First two stolen)

> >   #2 - What flavor of Linux should I get -
> >    Debian seems attractive as it seems to aim for
> > a common standard.
> >     RH seems pretty poular and full of fun features.
>
> I highly recommend debian. If you are a newbie, you might want progeny:
>
> www.progeny.com

   The world changes pretty fast:

http://www.progeny.com/archive/debian/