Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 21 May 2002 11:15:46 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

> > >   #2 - What flavor of Linux should I get -
> > >    Debian seems attractive as it seems to aim for
> > > a common standard.
>
> Uhmm don't they all aim for "a common standard"? What's common, and who's
> standard? I'm not sure what you meant here. But Please DON'T bother to
> answer, this is a flamey-type cliff that we're near. :)

www.linuxbase.org

Also, I think the poster meant was that they don't change their source a
lot when making packages. I don't think that gentoo does, either, nor
slackware. rh changes some fundamental things. I can't remember where, but
there were rh only hacks to source of a very fundamental tool. Also, there
are distros that try to guify things to the point where it's hard to
change things, mandrake and rh.

I'm not pushing a distro here, but I am pushing the idea that one should
try to keep things simple, and that the gui layers should respect that.

> > >     RH seems pretty poular and full of fun features.
>
> > I highly recommend debian. If you are a newbie, you might want progeny:
> > www.progeny.com
>
> Progeny (the version of Debian) ceased-to-be as of October 1st, 2001.
> http://www.progeny.com/archive/debian/

I still have cds and I installed it a few times and converted it over to
woody. As you probably know, one of the best things about debian is that
things become easier once you get it on the box, but getting there is
sometimes difficult esp w/ hw detection.

Fred