gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 21 May 2002 11:32:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: ...compatible browser or else!

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:26:28AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> "MazdaUSA.com is optimized for Internet Explorer versions *4.x* and
> *5.x* and Netscape *4.x.*
> To experience the most from this site you can download Internet Explorer
> or Netscape."

Hrm. And all I can get out of them is a VBScript error:

  Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

  Type mismatch: '[string: "5.0["]'

  /include/init.asp, line 26

(This is with Opera 5, no matter what I set my user agent to.)

Guess they don't want my business.

On another note, the neat thing about this is that this'll break
people's web spiders grabbing email addresses too. Perhaps a good
reason to make your own website refuse service except to permissable
user agents. (Otoh, if enough people do this, then the spiders will
just start using browser vendor's user agents, which they've already
started to do anyway, so...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net