Bradley Molnar on Tue, 21 May 2002 17:30:26 +0200

RE: [PLUG] OT: Good Books on Machine Learning?

Both are available as new and used from amazon (don't get started on the
anti-amazon please, I am only mentioning b/c it exists).

Artificial Intel is $80 new, $52 used
Data mining is $54.95 new, $48.90 used

Also, www.efollett.com is what some colleges use to organize book purchases
and selling of used books.  They have prices that are close to those from
amazon, but, it looks like some are out of stock right now.  Barnes & Nobel
may also have an online book swap for used text books (although I don't have
the time to search right now -- sleepy).

I think that it is a good price for the second one.  The first one, that is
expensive as I paid $100 Australian which was about $54 US when I got here
and I think I got 10-15% off on top of that.  I guess in theory I could buy
it for you and ship if over, but, that would put the price up to about $120
Australian which would save you about $10 US (at most).

For free information, here is the course website

http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/%7Ecs3/comp3002/s1_2002/

It has assignments and sample exam stuff.  It does, however, assume that you
are fairly good with some oo programing lang (java, c++, perl, etc).  It has
the lecture notes, which, if you download and read, will give you about as
good an understanding as anyone who went to the lecture.  They are available
as .pdf and .ps files made from printing of powerpoint slides.

-brad