Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 21 May 2002 11:44:44 -0400

[PLUG] Re: CDWriter hangs the computer during fixation

> This fellow recommended that I wipe everything off my hard drive
> and start over with the new operating system.  Does this mean that
> I have to really remove everything, including the user0 directory,
> or can I sequester that somewhere, out of harm's way ?  If I do so,

How did this preinstall work?

What is output of 'df -h'?

If they made a separate /home partition, then you can tell the mandrake
installer not to erase that when partitioning. I would suggest backing
things up on cd, but that would be kind of silly, I guess. :)

Another way would be to move things over to another machine. I figured you
had access to one over a network. If you don't disregard.

I would, as root and in a newly made dir: /var/backup or something,

tar -czvf /var/backup/user0.tgz /home/user0

Then you can use samba or ftp to send data over to windows machine. tar
makes sure that windows doesn't mangle things (probably not a big problem
anyway, it is w/ the mac if you don't do things right). It will also
compress it. Make sure you have root on /var/backup, first, see df.

Fred