gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 21 May 2002 15:45:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:26:41PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Definately brain-damaged, but I think that the idea of linux pre-installed
> is still a good one, but building your own box is still better. Some
> people don't have time and inclination.

Sure. And it's not like I trust Sun to install anything the way I
want it either.

> 1. you know that the hardware is compatable w/ linux and that you can call
> someone if something breaks for linux specific help

I've never hit Dell up for software support. Their hardware support
is reliable, though.

> 2. you are telling the corporate world that linux sells

Well, I'm in a corporate world that doesn't really need to be told
that on the server side (database processing and datawarehousing),
but sure. (Note that Linux is very NOT right for a fair portion of
that.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net