gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 21 May 2002 14:49:52 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:44:13PM -0400, Mike Leone (on-the-go)  wrote:
> Correct. They will install RH on a "server" machine for you, but not a
> consumer model. (so your PowerEdge can have it, but not your
> Dimension/OptiPlex/etc)

And in my experience, you don't want them installing it on a server
for you either.

Witness the stupidity:

# df -h
/dev/sda3              16G   15G  615M  96% /
/dev/sda1              30M   13M   16M  44% /boot
/dev/sdb1              17G  4.7G   11G  30% /mnt/sdb
/dev/sdc1              17G   12G  4.3G  73% /mnt/sdc
none                  502M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm

Yeah, thanks guys, I'll take the "no /usr, big disks mounted on
directories off of /mnt" option. (No, I didn't set this machine up
initially here; even if I hadn't reinstalled, I'd at least have
remounted those to some useful localized mount point. Yes, I have
dealt with it by way of sym links. That doesn't mean I like it.)

Btw, who the hell came up with this "directories off of /mnt" thing?
Is that a RedHat exclusive, or are other distros similarly brain-
damaged? The whole point of /mnt is to be a *temporary* mount point,
not a directory containing other directories to be mount points.
That's fixing a problem that doesn't exist; you can, and should,
mount anywhere within the virtual file system. The idea of having
more than one (or, in a real stretch, two) disks mounted temporarily
is ridiculous. If you need it that much, make a real mount point
for it.

In any case, this is better than it used to be, when they'd only
ever use 4 GBs of your disk, not even labeling the rest, if you
requested Linux pre-installed...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net