Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 21 May 2002 16:20:16 +0200

[PLUG] OT: Good Books on Machine Learning?

I had an hour to kill last night while I was in the vicinity of a Barnes and
Noble, which, as always, ended up lightening my wallet a little bit.

I do some data mining at work, so I've become more interested in topics
related to deriving and discovering information, pattern and type recognicion
and machine learning in general.  I've done some reading, and tried my hand
at some code, but I don't have a formal background in comp sci and that leaves
me feeling a little lost.

I couldn't resist picking up Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming:
Case Studies in Common Lisp" by Peter Norvig, as the table of contents seemed
to cover an interesting range of topics.  I also was looking at a hard cover
book titled "Machine Learning" (I can't remember the full title, or the author,
the cover was light blue) that looked good, but the $108 price tag made me put
it back on the shelf.

What books have you read?  Which ones would you recommend?  Which ones
wouldn't you recommend?  Which authors would you recommend?

Are there any on-line resources you've used or could recommend?

Thanks,

Kyle