Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:38:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: ...compatible browser or else!

> Theoretically, they should already be in compliance with the licenses
> for the sw they have. Why would you think they would need to buy more
> sw, to continue in the development vein they've chosen?

I never saw this to be true in a large enough workplace.

> > Did you see how much this sw costs (w/ audit)? Surely the savings here
> > alone would allow someone to do what would take a competent developer a
> > few hours (scripting).
>
> The sw should have already been paid for. And obviously they've made
> their decision to go with MS products, and it's attendent yearly
> costs.So all these costs are almost certainly accounted for, and
> budgeted for. I know ours are - every year, I have to add up what the
> yearly licensing fees for Veritas, etc, are and we budget that in.

I know, how much does this cost? Surely less to make a web site for all
using compliant products.

> And switching over would provide a costs savings, but in a longer run,
> since you've got to convert and test everything, and then run both
> systems in parallel for at least a little while, unless you want to take
> the chance of switching cold turkey, and hoping it all goes smooth.

That's not how compliant pages need to work. You need very little code.
Just a part to detect browser, then send them to static pages.

Again, I'm assuming these people have brains enough to code html, etc.
Yes, a switch would probably cost more for the first year b/c they all
ready paid all their licenses for the whole year, and so on.

I'm thinking of had they done this right to begin w/.

Anyway, w/ all this typing, we could have probably written the scripts to
fix everything all ready. :)

Fred