W. Chris Shank on Fri, 24 May 2002 17:10:11 +0200

[PLUG] AS/400 update - SCSI disks

I took some pics of the disassembled AS/400 - in case anyone is curious. of
particular interest is the SCA raid chassis.
http://www.acetechgroup.com/photo/?mode=album&album=AS400&dispsize=640
the SCSI disks don't have the built-in SCA adapter (thankfully), the disks
get mounted in a housing that turns the 68pin scsi, power, and auxiliary
SCSI ID pins into a single 80 pin connector.

I have a Adapted AHA-2940W that I have been testing the Disks on. so far, it
recognizes the Tape, CDROM, and the SCSI disks (I only tried 2 so far). I
can even boot from the CDROM. However, when trying to install RH7.3, it
doesn't recognize the SCSI disk correctly and dies when trying to go into
fdisk or Disk Druid saying something about not finding /tmp/sda. int he
system log, linux finds the disk, but says htat the size is 0Mb, so
something is wrong there. the original 4G SCSI disk that came with the
machine is recognized fine and boots, so i know the controller is working.
also, adaptec specs say that conroller can recognize drives upto 8G. I
thought that this drive was 9.1G but in SCSI select, when i verify the meia,
it says it only aboue 4.5G.

I played around with the diffent terminations and SE vs Differential modes,
but nothing sems to work. IBM says this grive is 9.1G LVD UW, but it says
SCSI SE on the disk, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Anyone with SCSI knowledge have any clues about why this can't be recognized
in linux?

thanks