Jon Galt on Tue, 28 May 2002 15:10:10 +0200

[PLUG] VPN

Hi all,
  I have a friend who wants to connect two offices via Virtual Private
Network.  There is also one telecommuter.  Each office already has an
internet connection with multiple users (5 and 10, I think), and I'm sure
they will want to still have access to the internet.  I say this because I
thought about telling him to replace his gateway machines with Linux boxes
that have a VPN connection to each other.
  I just don't know how to make it so that some requests get sent out to
the insecure netowrk and others get sent to the other end of the VPN.
  I've searched for VPN on the web, but somehow I don't seem to get things
that look particularly useful.  I'm quite new to VPN, so if anybody has
either a basic explanation of how to go about this, or pointers to
resources on the web, I would appreciate it.
  This will be a mixed network, with a database server that will probably
be a Linux machine, and lots of Windows machines as clients.
  Another idea I have is to have him leave their current gateways in place
and add a Linux machine within each LAN that will handle all VPN traffic
between the two LANs.  Each... "VPN server" (?) would simply be another
local machine as far as the gateways are concerned.  Would this be a good
way to go?
  I'm still not sure how to bring the telecommuter into the picture.

Thanks,
Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com