W. Chris Shank on Tue, 28 May 2002 09:05:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Raid

i think linux raid is softare based, like NT's raid capability if you have
2+ drives. the software srips the data accross yuor disk set. hardware raid
is usually setup by a hardware raid card, prior to installing the OS. the
card handles all data striping and parity, the OS thinks it's a single drive
it's writing to.

i haven't used this with SCSI, but i have used the lowend IDE raid card,
which basically does mirroring for data redundancy and/or fast stripping
(the actual term escpapes me) which has no redundancy but allows for very
fast writes (ie: used for database or video processing). these cards are
typically called 0+1 or something. The one i used was the ADAPTEC UltraFast
Tx100 i think.

bottom line:
if you have a scsi raid card, let it do the work. you may need to pass
special boot paramters, but it should hide the raid info from the OS. If you
just have a few scsi disks and want redundancy or fast throughput, try linux
raid (and let me know how it works out).

-chris