Bradley Molnar on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:42:35 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Verizon DSL software for RedHat Linux 7.2

Something that many might tell you, so, I'll be the first:

Many routers (available from d-link, netgear, linksys, etc) will take care
of the routing from ethernet to a dsl line.  This is by far the easiest (as
most routers usually have a dhcp server and can be configured from a web
broswer).

To be totally honest, they work great.  I am using a Lucent RG-1000 (it is
wireless, but, the same principle) to route over a verizon dsl line.  It has
some issues, like the line cuts out every so often (couple of hours to a
couple of weeks).  It is then easy to just reset the RG instead of having to
reset a computer.  Since most routers use NAT, you can 'hide' multiple
machines on a line that you are only supposed to have one machine on.  I can
personally assure you that we have had up to 8 machines running behind this
firewall at one time (right now, there are only 3-4, as, 1 died, 1 is at a
friend's house, 1 was sold, and 2 are in Australia).

Also, what Ian just said, you will need to have a wintel machine set up
first (and directly connected to the dsl), as, there are some set-up things
that you have to go through and I believe that you have to use verizon's
custom additions to netscape 4.7 for windows.

-brad

---
Everybody loves to love you when you're far away -- Better than Ezra, At the
Stars