Bill Jonas on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:06:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] off topic, need DSL modem

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:12:51PM -0400, Jon Galt wrote:
>   does anyone have a spare DSL modem that I can buy, or use for about a
> week?

I have an Efficient Networks, Inc. SpeedStream 5260 you're welcome to
borrow short-term.  Check with your provider to make sure it will work.
I used it for 1.5/384 ADSL with a provider other than yours.

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:46:55PM -0400, Jon Galt wrote:
> Hey that's cool.  I just learned that thre are lots of types of DSL
> modems, and Earthlink told me it is a DMT modem on an ATM circuit.  Not
> sure what exactly that means.

$ dict dmt
From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms December 2001
[vera]:

  DMT
          Discrete Multitone Technology (ADSL, Amati Communications,
ANSI)

ATM means "asynchronous transfer mode".  I don't know a whole lot about
the technology except that it's often seen in High-end networking kit
and never in consumer-level stuff.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin