William H. Magill on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 04:54:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

>   From: (Chris Beggy ) news@kippona.com
>   Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:43:08 -0400
>
>   "Michael Leone" <turgon@mike-leone.com> writes:
>
>   > DCA. You can keep Verizon as the line provider (I do), but have DCA
>   > service the line as your ISP (for $10 a month). 5 static IPs; you can
>   > run (some) servers yourself; etc.
>
>   Interesting!
>
>   What are the total costs if you buy the line from Verizon and
>   have DCA net as the ISP?  Can you choose other ISPs?
>
>From what I can tell of the way Verizon now sells and bills things... you
have to get the 3rd party ISP to initiate the line.  [Verizon has made some
billing changes and similar things in the past 6 months or so.]

If you contact Verizon, they will only sell you Verizon as the ISP.
If you were able to contact the DSL unit of Verizon the RBOC, they would
probably do things correctly, since they are still regulated -- but you
can't access them. You can only access Verizon the competeive ISP.

In short, if you are in an area where Verizon offers DSL service, ANY ISP
that is offereing you DSL service is probably going to be re-selling
Verizon DSL... especially since both Covad and RSL dropped out of the "new
DSL" customer race last year.

I happen to have Cavalier as my CLEC, and last time I checked, they were
not offering DSL in my exchange. ...Yes, I do have two phone lines -- one,
which I have actually had for 20 years, which is now my Cavalier phone
line, and one which is a Verizon phone line which carries my DSL service.
Also yes -- if "number portability" really did exist, I could get rid of my
old line, and move my old phone number over to my new line... but I can't.

--
T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator