William H. Magill on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 04:56:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

>   Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:12:04 -0400
>   From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
>
>   On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:57:26PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
>   > On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:45:01PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>   > > Or if someone can buy a static ip w/o any catch...I'm looking to switch
>   > > from verizon over to whoever that really cool service is that charges a
>   > > bit more, but encourages people to run web servers.
>   > Speakeasy(.net)?
>
>   DCANet too, last I checked. And they're local.

I've been a very satisfied DCAnet - DSL customer since Bell Atlantic days.
[I'm one of those folks who has DSL from Verizon with DCAnet as my ISP.]

I have had no problems with it since BA finally got their CO's working...
some ?3? years now, I guess.

The early days of DSL were fraught with serious hardware/software problems
at the RBOC's Central Office.

Static IP address, DNS pointing, all that good stuff is available from
them.  And if you're associated with Penn, they're only 1 hop away!

I happen to run a collection of Macs (OS X), Airport (802.11) providing NAT
service, and Alphas runing SuSE (Alpha Linux) and Tru64 Unix. My lead Alpha
has now been up 250 days since the last power outage was caused by the cat
(don't ask.) Prior to that, it had been up for well over a year.

--
T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator