Flint Heart on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:58:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Video Card Choice

On 9 Jun 2002, Noah Silva wrote:

> I think it depends on what you want.  I myself have a Radeon 8500
> TwinView card.  I don't know all of the details, but I think any
> super-hard-core gamers would get some GeForce 4 card.  OTOH, Someone
> from ID recently said they liked the radeon cards better.
>
>  -- noah silva

I just replaced my aging geforce 256 ddr with a geforce 4 4600.  If you
game stay with either the geforce 3's or the non-mx geforce 4's.  Great
drivers and great performance.  Carmak has said in recent interviews that
he loves the arcitechture of the new ati cards but due to the poor quality
of the drivers he recomends the geforce 4's ( as far as the current crop of
video cards)  Especialy if you are planning on running linux on your
machine I'd highly recomend a nice geforce card.  And remember to stay with
the geforce 3's and non-mx geforce 4's (geforce 4 mx's are just realy fast
geforce 2's, they lack vertex and pixel shading capability)  I'm out of the
hardware race until I can find a new job(keep those job posts comming)  I'm
pretty content with my athlon 1.33 ghz system with 512mb ram and a geforce

N-Tropy

p.s. with a dvi to vga adapter I think all of the geforce 4 cards with dvi
can run dual monitor.  I haven't picked one up yet to hook up my old 19" to
this machine. *drools*