Paul on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:55:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AMD or Intel P4??

First off, you're perhaps missing part of my point: more plentiful
does not necessarily mean better. (And, quite frequently, it means
worse. 10 million sheep are often wrong.)

(Forgive me for the Star Trek approach.) Better isn't always better either. If someone time traveled into the future and brought back some kind of organic, optical, super powerful server assembled atom by atom, it wouldn't do us much good if we couldn't access it. Bringing back the many of such devices would make the system usable maybe, but how would we replace or repair components, assuming that they use replacable components?

The news in the movie industry is that Linux on AMD or Intel is replacing SGI. I heard the same about UPenn. The same combination is a known replacement for Sun servers.

Have you any real references for those claims or are they just FUD?

Um, what is "FUD"?

Like I said, the people at UPenn told me about thier declining numbers of SGI systems in favor of Linux PC's. The Burlington Coat Factory, where I used to work, was/is replacing Sun servers with Linux PC's and placing Linux PC's in thier warehouses and stores. (Of course, the company is extremely cheap, especially when it comes to salary!) Every issue of Linux Journal has an article about the movie industry adopting Linux for workstations and clusters. And what are the people on this list running?

That's a real question. We could take a survey. I'm currently running Red Hat 7.2 on an Athlon 600MHz. I just ordered and Athlon XP 1800+ and TRIED Red Hat 7.3. My Web host looks like it is running Red Hat 6.2 with a newer kernel on a dual Pentium III 866MHz.

But we weren't talking about server class hardware anyway.

We could be. Just different classes of servers and workstations. PC hardware is definately on the lower end. At least Linux and PC hardware let us run servers without paying for the heavy weight equipment until we require and can afford it.

One of the comments that I either forgot to make or that you
neglected to respond to is that mac hardware stays in contented
use way longer (as in years) than the PC-du-jour. Yes, I'm being
lazy and bad by not providing a reference on that; maybe I'll dig
one up after I'm done catching up on cypherpunks.

I didn't quote that much, but I did respond. I said that just about all of the PC hardware that I replace is due to the availability of new, faster components low prices.