Paul on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:25:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AMD or Intel P4??

Availability,

There is more of everything for the PC, new and used, than there is for any other end user computer.

Simplicity,

I was going to retract this, but...in a way it is more simple to use technology that many people are familiar with. Not that the technology itself is simple. The more you know about it, or the more people you know who know about it, the easier it is. Imagine being a new Linux user (I know this is not a hardware example.) without knowing any other Linux users and trying to resolve a problem with support staff from a company with doesn't support Linux; in that case, it would be much simpler to run Windows. For me, the PC is relatively simple because I'm very familiar with it.

Compatibility,

Again, this is based on the fact that there is more of everything availble for the PC in the form of components and software.

and price

This is undeniable. Most of the parts that I buy get replaced, not due to failure, but the fact that better hardware becomes availble at the same low prices.

Turns out you don't have to, and better stuff's been out there for
quite a while. (And not just Macs, but Suns, SGIs, NeXTs...)

The news in the movie industry is that Linux on AMD or Intel is replacing SGI. I heard the same about UPenn. The same combination is a known replacement for Sun servers. Then theres OS X, which in my opinion, would be better if it wasn't tied only to Mac hardware.