Noah Silva on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:12:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AMD or Intel P4??

he he he - there is a reason I don't buy Music CD-Rs.  But as for the
MDs:
a.) I could provide many other examples.
b.) The music industry approves of them, and actually produces them
(sony owns the patents).  Why?  Because the affordable consumer units
let you record music in extremely good quality digitally, but they don't
let you get that music off of the MD again in digital form.  This means
that you can buy or rent a CD and make an MD of it, but you can't easily
dupe that MD to give to your friends.  All of my MD players (except the
MD-data drive on my PC) have an optical in, but none of them have an
optical out.

It would be nice if the reason MDs were unpopular were because of the
copy-protection, but I am sure that isn't the case.  The reason they are
unpopular is because people are just to cheap to shell out $300 to have
something very good when they can shell out $100 and have something that
works.  In other countries, more people are willing to save their money
and buy better products, and take better care of them.

At any rate, there are of course counter-examples to this, it's just a
general trend.  But General trends determine what companies do.

 -- noah silva