Kevin Brosius on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:31:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Video Card Choice

Jason wrote:

> On Sunday 09 June 2002 14H:28, you wrote:
> > It doesn't really matter to me, but I am confused here, which drivers
> > are of poor quality.  I didn't do anything special to get my radeon
> > cards working (I went through two of them in the past few months,
>
> Check out anandtech.com for some good writeups (over the past 6 months or so)
> on the state of the latest Radeon ATI drivers. It's not that they are that
> difficult to configure, but that the performance has been abusrdly quirky,
> depending on the type of applications or games you are running (newer cards
> initially performing worse than the previous model in some extreme
> situations). This was particularly bad for ATI when the Radeon architecture
> was first released. nVidia's drivers out of the gate are almost always of a
> much higher quality in terms of performance and feature support.

I suspect this trend will continue, at least for the near term.  nVidia
hired the guy I'd consider the best 2d accel software guy in XFree86.
(Well, there might be three people on that list, but nVidia's got one of
them.)  They contribute some of the code back to XFree86, although I'm
not clear on what is and is not going to be open sourced.  Certainly
their binary drivers come out first...

ATI has been very good about releasing documentation to people who want
it.  But that's all I've heard about their open source support.

--
Kevin Brosius