Mike Leone on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:44:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Setting up a LinkSys Wireless NIC

On (06/11/02 15:44), Jason wrote:

> Is the AP not on the same subnet? If it is, I would recommend bringing down
> eth0 (ifdown eth0) while testing wlan0. I'm assuming that eth0 is also
> currently your default route.

Yep, it was a routing thing. I made sure that the wireless LAN module was
/etc/networks/interfaces to auto bring up wlan0 ad DHCP; and presto! Here I
am, answering this email wirelessly. :-)

> Also make sure that there are no wireless drivers enabled in the kernel.

Nope; all LAN cards are modules (eth0 and wlan0). On a desktop; I might
compile them into the kernel, since they'd never *not* be there and needed.
A laptop is different.