Walt Mankowski on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:22:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Optimizatoins? MySQL, 1.2Gb tables, lots of random selects...

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:14:38AM -0400, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> The index file is only 24Mb, so one thin we're wondering is if MySQL supports
>
> We're trying to get good select performance from these databases (we're
> using more than 1 to distribute some of the load as things stand right
> now).  The selects are basicly random based on a unique primary key.
> Our table consists of only 3 rows, an auto id (integer), a primary key

Er, you mean three columns (and LOTS of rows), right? :-)

> (varchar 15), and a blob column.  The average size of the blob column
> is about 1k (1099 bytes) - it has to be a blob (it's binary data - a
> compressed data structure).
>
> We're currently only getting between 90 and 280 records per second.  This
> is on a dual athlon 1.2ghz w/1.5gb of ram.  We've already got noatime and
> notail set on the file systems the data files are stored on.
>
> Anyone have any advice or pointers for optimizing MySQL for databases of
> these kinds of sizes?

I'm certainly not a performance guru, but the only that comes to mind
off the top of my head is that it might be a bit more efficient to
store the the primary key as a char 15 instead of a varchar.

There are some general MySQL performance tuning tips at
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Table_types.html#SEC458

Walt