kevin mudrick on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:00:21 +0200

Re: [PLUG] apache / ie

> I have been developing a web app in php.  The project
> is nearing completion and there is one problem.
> Randomly internet explorer will give the "Page cannot
> be displayed" error.  This happens much to frequently
> and the client is complaining about it.  I want to get

I'm fairly certain this is a known issue, mod_ssl+apache not playing
nice with internet explorer (or, perhaps, the other way around.)

Apparently, IE has problem with the keep-alive in http/1.1.. Sometimes
you'll see default/sample apache.conf files forcing browsers identified
as IE to use http/1.0 instead, something like this:

BrowserMatch "MSIE" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

or

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

ssl-unclean-shutdown forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is
closed, something suspect in explorer..

Microsoft has also released ssl-related patches for Internet Explorer..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q247367

Though, if you're running a big site, informing all users to go patch
their browsers is kinda out of the question...

good luck,
kevin

--
 (kevin mudrick)   (kevin@furhurts.com)   (www.bleachedwhale.com)
  pgp key available at http://www.furhurts.com/~darkspur/kevin_gpg.asc

 Despair: It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.