Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:47:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

On Thursday 13 June 2002 01:09 pm, Art Clemons wrote:

> The newest version of KOffice usually works with Word files, but the
> key word is usually, it can lose placement of graphics and the like
> while converting.

Yeah, that won't work for me since the same document often gets
re-edited on both the win and lin computers.

> Open Office is basically the same as StarOffice 6
> minus the Adabas database software, and some conversion routines for
> formats like that of WordPerfect software.

Sounds good as I don;t use Adabas, anyway.  Still get WP docs from time
to time.  Would like to get that converter, but it doesn't happen often
enough to buy the commercial version.  I did buy SO 5.2 from Sun.  It
was only $50.  With a printed manual and a CD with all platform
versions, it was well worth it.

> I've only found one
> document that wouldn't work with OpenOffice, and it's cross platform
> too. The real problem is that there is not the support that Star
> offers for its version of the software.

The support they offered for 5.2 was lousy -- not worth the phone
charges, let alone anything you might have to pay sun.

> I have to applaud Star for
> funding much of the development cost and going about offering things
> this way, and I note that its cost per installation is a lot cheaper
> than Microsoft for Word.

Yep.

> Of course, any day now, I'm expecting a new
> change in the .doc format to throw off the programs which can convert
> to and from said format.

It will be a while before the current format is replaced.  There is a
fair amount of resistance to XP and the new licensing.  There won't be
a big switch until it starts coming pre-loaded on all computers (the
way Word overtook WordPerfect in the first place).