Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:50:22 +0200

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 12:24 pm, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > I want to install staroffice 5.2 on a multi-user workstation.
> > by sun, into the user's home directory.
> >
> > There are going to be 4 users on this machine and I see to reason
> > to put the whole thing on the drive 4x.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with this? --
>
> It doesn't have to go there, does it?
>
> I think that the magic word is soffice. Find out where the main
> soffice is in the install dir. Move install dir to wherever you want
> it and symlink soffice in /usr/local/bin to the soffice in the office
> dir.

This won't work.  In fact, if you do the "network install" as root, sun
advises against running that installation, even as root.  Instead,
every user must do a "user install" from that network installation.
Art Clemmonst describes how it works.

> I heard that staroffice is old, and star office charges. Why not get
> open office:

A year ago, I spent a lot of time investigating what was out there.
StarOffice seemed to be the best transition from MS Word, and offered
really good document compatibilty.  It was one of the few programs that
didn't just open Word docs, it preserved the formatting quite well and
allowed them to be reopened in Word without significant format changes.
 It even did a half decent job with some of my automated templates.

At the time KOffice seemed to have a future, but could not be used
where getting the work done was more important than playing with the
program.  I installed Abiword to use for small jobs which didn't
require me to load the entire Word or StarOffice program, but it seem
to cause more problems with the documents than it was worth.  There are
a lot of programs out there that "open" word docs, but many of them
don't do a very good job on a formatted doc.

I haven't tried the newest KOffice yet.  Nor have I tried Open Office,
which I intend to do.  There is also an emulator (i saved the url and
name somewhere) that claims to run MS Word well in Linux that I want to
try.