Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:13:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

> > I think that the magic word is soffice. Find out where the main
> > soffice is in the install dir. Move install dir to wherever you want
> > it and symlink soffice in /usr/local/bin to the soffice in the office
> > dir.
>
> This won't work.  In fact, if you do the "network install" as root, sun
> advises against running that installation, even as root.  Instead,
> every user must do a "user install" from that network installation.
> Art Clemmonst describes how it works.

I recall getting this to work a few years back when I still thought that
office suites were a good thing to have.

> > I heard that staroffice is old, and star office charges. Why not get
> > open office:
>
> A year ago, I spent a lot of time investigating what was out there.
> StarOffice seemed to be the best transition from MS Word, and offered
> really good document compatibilty.  It was one of the few programs that
> didn't just open Word docs, it preserved the formatting quite well and
> allowed them to be reopened in Word without significant format changes.
>  It even did a half decent job with some of my automated templates.

But open office is the next ver of star office that is still free. Open
office is like star office 6.0 lite.

Fred