Time on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:58:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Video Card Choice

I commented on this before but I'm not absolutely sure it went through
due to some recent bind changes on my server... so if you are getting
this twice I appologize:

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 11:27:51AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Overall, which is better, the GeForce2 Titanium or Radeon 7500?

nVidia is one of the first companies I've seen to directly support
OpenGL / DRI acceleration with custom kernel modules downloadible from
their site (rpm, t*.gz, deb) with well written how-to's on getting them
installed and editing your XF86Config-4 to optimize your usage.

I myself use a GeForce3 TI-500 (64M DDR on AGP) which I highly recommend
to anyone.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 05:49:16PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> In another PC I installed a Radeon VE (same save the 7000) under Red Hat
> 7.2.  I had to comment out the DRI module to get it to work properly.
> In yet another PC with a GeForce2 GTS Pro, I installed Red Hat 7.1
> without a problem.  That tells me that Red Hat has better support for
> the GeForce2 cards compared to the Radeon cards.  (My ATI Rage Fury had
> always worked well.)

With any distro supporting rpm, you get the source package and do a
rpm --rebuild and built it to your current kernel which I find very
friendly after spending days building custom kernels for new boxes.

Now, I do have a Radeon card in my box at work, which has some openGL
support. Do any of you know of a good place to start looking for kernel
modules/ drivers for it?

--
Regards,

Time